How do you rate the Brother HL-2280DW Laster Printer?
Benefits of Laser All-In-One Printers over InjetsI bought the Brother HL-2280DW All-In-One Laser Printer to replace the HP C6180 Ink Jet that has been in use for the past 6 years. In my household, we’ve learned that trying to use photo printers for business scans, copies and printing is more trouble that it’s worth. Even as a photo printer, the HP C6180 has not really loved up to it’s purpose. It is costly, slow and a nuisance to print your own photos. We got increasingly sick of all of the time it used to take for the Ink jet to become ready to print. The C6180 is excessively obsessive and fidgety before it begins printing – and don’t dare open the ink tray. It will take a good 2 minutes for it to become ready to print again. When I looked into laser printers, particularly the Brother all-in-one series, I got excited about printing again. Here’s why:
- Fast printing with virtually no startup waiting period
- Cost per monochrome page is Much Lower
- Less Down-Time replacing long-life toners instead of Ink Cartridges
- Consistent quality from page-to-page.
- Lower Maintenance
- Lower total cost of ownership
Advantages of the Brother HL-2280DW
Cheap Toner for the Brother HL-2280DW
For around $30.00 you can get a 1200 page toner and I’ve seen them for as low as $21.00 with coupons. The C6180 advertised 600 pages on a $19.00 black cartridge, but I never got close to that with mine, partly because the ink is also being used for photos.
Superior Brother Laser Printing Software
HP software loves to take over your entire computer loading up all kinds of software and documentation that slows down your startup times and generally makes using your computer more tedious and difficult. The HL-2280DW installation is straight forward.
Brother Scanning, Copying and Printing Software
Brother’s software installation was straight forward. The advanced menu makes it easy to choose what you want to do: Scan, Print, Copy, OCR icons are all right in front of you. There is no waiting to get them to work. They pop right up when you push on them. The buttons on the HL-2280DW can be configured and customized to your own preference. For instance if you want to scan a document to one or more PC’s in your house, it’s easy to do.
It’s easy to double sided prints with the HL-2280DW. Simply choose the double sided print option from your print menu. I was amazed at how easy this was to use. I chose a two page resume and printed it on both sides of one page without hassle the very first time I tried it.
Finally, we can print from all computers, laptops and devices in our home without hassling with network settings. The HP C6180 never worked properly or consistently. Wirelessly connected PC’s constantly had to have the printer driver removed and re-installed.
Fast Scans and Copies
Unlike Inkjet printers, the Brother Laser 2280DW, All-In-One doesn’t have to do a bunch of preliminary, mumbo jumbo before it scans or copies a document. Push the copy button and bam – it goes right to work and does it rather quietly and effortlessly.
Pros and Cons of the Brother HL-2280DW Laser All-In-One Printer
- Prints very Fast – up to 27 pages per minute with no startup delay
- Quiet and smooth operation
- Extremely affordable Laser Toner provides 1200 pages for $21 – $30
- Duplex (Double-Sided) Printing
- Easy, uncluttered Full-Featured software installation and Use
- Trouble Free Wireless and/or wired connectivity
- Clean and Easy-to-Use Control Interface with Configurable Buttons
- No Multiple Sheet Feeder: Must copy one sheet at a time
- Small LCD Screen is hard to read at an angle
- Doesn’t print color (if that’s what you want)
All in all, I give the Brother HL-2280DW all-in-one Laser Printer a big thumbs-up.